MaMa-Feminista

Discourse on the intersections of politics, feminism, and motherhood.

Wednesday, October 11

Manipulative Food Packaging

An article in the New York Times today is a must read for any mom trying to eat healthy, trying to teach their kids to make healthy choices, or just attempting to battle obesity. The article presents a overview of the work of Professor Brian Wasink who's experiments prove that consumers really aren't aware of how much packaging, environment, and food size effect how much and what we eat.

“To a person, people will swear they aren’t influenced by the size of a package or how much variety there is on a buffet or the fancy name on a can of beans, but they are,” Dr. Wansink said. “Every time.”


Dr. Wasink holds a doctoral degree in marketing from Stanford University and directs the Cornell University food and brand lab. His interesting experiments examine the cues that make us eat what we do. I can think of a number of moments after a meal when I said to myself, "why the hell did I just eat that?" Clearly, we all have choices but it's interesting to contemplate that our choices may be manipulated within carefully constructed environments based on benefiting a capitalist society.

3 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Another good book on food would be What to Eat by Marion Nestle. I've started buying most of my food from local providers and farmer's markets... I figure it's not that bad if I "over-indulge" on fresh produce!

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Kate said...

Intellectually, I know that avoiding anything with yellow or red on the packaging or used freely in the construction of the eating environment.

Still, appetite stimulators sneak up on me.

It all makes me feel very sick.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Oh Baby Gifts said...

Marketing definitely has its sneaky ways :)

Reminds me of those food commercials and billboards that just make me so hungry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home