MaMa-Feminista

Discourse on the intersections of politics, feminism, and motherhood.

Thursday, October 19

Where Does The Time Go?

I can't believe the month of October has almost come to a close and I haven't completed the second chapter of my thesis. It seems as if I'll never quite get it done along with chasing a ten month old, editing papers for publication, and trying to make a little cash. A colleague of mine suggested I start waking at 5 am to get two hours of work in before the entire house becomes over run with activity. I'm finding this extremely hard to accomplish and on the days that I can work, I work from home and seem continually bombarded with daddy duty uncertainties. The bottom line is, I'm still seen as available because I work upstairs instead of out of the house. I tell myself everyday, today I will get this done or that done and it never seems to happen. The little one won't nap, or there are some bills to pay, or phone calls to make. There is always something within the domestic sphere that seizes my attention.
I'm sure many moms have issues similar to these where juggling the many different componants of daily life with larger endeavors becomes extremely stressful and difficult. The babysitter helps out but that costs money, and daddy helps out but with limited ability, why I don't know. So alas the battle continues and I just want to say we will all make it through. We will all find a away that works for us individually because we have always just figured it out and done it. I tell myself to keep my head up, keep progressing foward, and take one day at a time. Look for pockets of positivity instead of what I forgot today or didn't get to and cut yourself some slack. We do the best we can and it is humanly impossible, in contradiction to what the new heroic cultural icon represents, to be all things to everyone 100 percent of the time. Ice cream sandwiches help to.

4 Comments:

At 2:41 AM, Blogger Domestic Slackstress said...

Those look yummy. You should check out the creepy comments an admitted pedophile left on my mom blog. I want all mom bloggers to read it so they can decide how best to protect their children.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger MaMa-Feminista said...

That's gross,,,,,Why the hell are pedophiles wandering around the mom blogs?

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I read the "where does the time go' piece because I was looking for someone who might be able to guide me with a concern I have over girls clothes. You are one of two contributors listed and since I am a Spanish speaker, I choose ma-ma feminista. I have a 4 year old daughter, and while I have often said that is it much more fun to dress a girl (better clothing options than are available for my 2 year old boy, who has just hit the 'hard as all hell to find cute clothes that aren't navy, red or grey stage') I have been thinking more and more about how harmful and well, toxic the 'fashion options' are for young girls - I recently saw GAP'S 'tight fit' jeans, for young girls. I want to know if there is a site or person or book where this issue is addressed. Ok, so that is my question, then in response to your article I will say two things. First daddy’s ability will improve dramatically when you are 'unable' to help him. If at all possible leave the house to work. Second, something that has stuck with me was a comment an acquaintance of mine once said when I ask if she had finished her doctorate. She said no, I didn't; I know if I had had a wife at home I would have. And I felt so sad for her, and sad that the commentary was so true. Make use of your husband when he's home and get the work done. Easier said then done, I know. I have to work at it every day, but he and I are both getting better. Ok, have to do my academic work; any info about my question would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.
~ingrid

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Sophias Style said...

I can relate to you...you've got a great attitude though. All you can do is keep pushing forward and find something positive in every day. My friend always says "Happiness is a choice!" I try to live by that motto, and choose something to be happy about every single day. Who wouldn't be happy about an ice cream sandwich!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home